Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Chicken Pot Pie

This is a modified recipe that I occasionally change up.  I love to use left over chicken from a rotisserie at the store or left over fried chicken.  If I have any left over veggies from the week, I would through that in too.  If you have pie crust, top it with that, or go with the biscuits.

Chicken Pot Pie Fillling

  • 3 c. cooked chicken
  • 1 med onion, chopped
  • 1 stalk of celery, chopped
  • 1 1/2 c. mixed vegetables
  • 1 c. chopped potatoes
  • 1 c. chicken broth
  • 1 can cream of mushroom soup

Combine all ingredients.  Season to taste.  If you find that the base is too thin, add corn starch to thicken.  Add pie shell or biscuits to the top. Bake at 400F for about 35 minutes.

When I am making this in bulk, I will have boiled whole chickens to use as my chopped chicken.  After I am done cooking the chicken, I cook down the broth in the pot and save it.  This is one of my recipes I use it in, besides making soup out of it.

I have not decided if I am going to make the pie filling and freeze in a zip-lock, or if I will make it in its entirety and freeze in an aluminum pan.  If I do the filing, I can pull out frozen biscuits to put on the top.  So there are many variations, based on what would work best for your family.

~trish

No comments:

Post a Comment