Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Chicken and Sausage Cassoulet

I LOVE, {HUGE HEARTS}, Cassoulet!  It is a glorified (grown up)  version of beans and weenies.  I usually make this by a favorite Weight Watches recipe.  I love the taste of the Thyme herb and the northern beans.  I got this recipe from the Rival Cookbook that came with my crock pot.  I am using this recipe, versus my original one, because the use of chicken lowers the cost and I never used the turkey sausage (so it was never the calories it was supposed to be).

Chicken and Sausage Cassoulet

  • 15 oz can navy beans
  • 1 c. tomato juice
  • 1/2 c. diced onions
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1/2 tsp. thyme
  • 1 tsp  instant chicken bouillon granules
  • 1/2 tsp basil
  • 1/2 tsp oregano
  • 4 chicken drumsticks
  • 4 oz sausage, sliced

Combine all ingredients, except for the meats, in the crock pot.   Add the meat on top of the bean mixture.  Cook on low for 10-13 hours OR High for 5-6 hours.

Now I will be using dried beans, presoaked.  I will skip the chicken boullion for chicken broth.  I will be adding the broth in exchange for the liquid from the can of beans.  I will add my cooked chicken, instead of the drum sticks.

As for freezing this, I will premix the mixture and put in a ziplock and then add the meat on top.  Then I will thaw and dump in a crock pot to cook.

~trish

No comments:

Post a Comment