Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Biscuit King!

DSC06188

I have been working hard to get my older 2 children involved in baking with me.  I have this delusion that if I get them started now, that in hopefully 2 years they will do the baking without me.  The only one with any desire to do the baking is my son, #2.  #1 is limitedly interested, based on what else is going on.

Last week, I got my son to help out on making homemade biscuits.  No, these are not the Counter Biscuit, you know, you bang the tube against the counter and it pops.  This recipe is cheap!  and Easy!  My favorites for a recipe.  The recipe make smore and are just as good, as the biscuit tubes at the store.  Plus, the cost of one set of biscuits at the store will keep you in biscuits for probably 2 weeks, every night.  Well, depending on how much you like biscuits.  My family loves biscuits and honey.  I got the recipe from Menus 4 moms.

Buttermilk Biscuits
  • 4 cups self-rising flour
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1-1/2 cups buttermilk

Combine flour and butter, cutting with a fork. Stir in buttermilk.

Add more flour if too wet, more buttermilk if too dry. When dough is rolling consistency, knead a few times and turn out onto a floured surface. Roll out and cut with a biscuit cutter or upside down glass.

Bake half of the biscuits on cookie sheet at 475°F until brown.

Place the other half of the biscuits on a cookie sheet or other flat pan and put in the freezer until frozen. Before going to bed or early the next morning, bag the biscuits in a dated freezer bag for later use. If cooking thawed biscuits, follow normal cooking instructions. To cook frozen biscuits, extend cooking time.

Now I did not have any butter, so used plain vegetable shortening.  I also did not have buttermilk, so I used regular milk.  My biscuits were wonderful and we made all of them and had the left-overs the next day.  If you wanted to get really convenient, you could make several batches and freeze them.  Then you would have your own freezer stash, like you buy in the store.

Preparing these biscuits with little hands, took about 20 minutes.  Good investment of time with my son and warm biscuits.  He was so proud at the dinner table talking about his biscuits.

~trish

PS.  I am adding a new label called “Survival Cooking” – These are recipes that are inexpensive to make, you can cook them in bulk, uses staples ingredients, and can help you lessen your consumer versus producer status.  I will talk later on consumption versus production, later, but it has to do with the fact that our country imports too much and exports not enough.  I believe this practice will have a devastating impact on country’s stability in the near future if it continues on this road.

1 comment:

  1. These sound delicious and easy to make. I love that there are only a few ingredients. Have you ever tried to read the ingredients on those tube biscuits? Ugh. I will have to try these. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete