Sunday, February 28, 2010

Starting to BENTO!

What is Bento?

Bento (written 弁当), or obento (お弁当) to use the honorific term, is the Japanese word for a meal served in a box. Beyond that basic definition though, just about anything goes as to what kind of box or container is used, as well as what is put inside that box (justbento.com)

My inspiration comes from Shannon in Texas!  I stumbled onto her blog about a year ago and was so amazed at how cute her lunches were for her children, I had to stick them away in my favorites.  Well, starting Monday, My first daughter will require a packed lunch each day for the next 2 months.  After that, July will begin the kindergarten process.  Now knowing I am going to have 4 children in school, I am not getting any of them hooked on the school lunches.  

1. Way too Expensive! When you compound the fact that I will eventually be paying for 4 lunches each day, it would be equivalent to the amount I spend for our entire dinner, if not more.

2. Nutrition!  Now I know that the state or federal government mandate a nutritional level for all meals.  BUT! not all school districts are the same.  The county next to us, where my MIL works in the cafeteria, they make every meal from scratch ingredients. In our county, every meal option is a prepared frozen food, manufactured some where else.  Also, lunch at school is not like when I was a kid.  In my time, You had one option and you took or brought your own.  Now it is pizza or hamburger or a la cart all the way.  So there is no control or definite that your child is eating what you really want them to be eating.

 

THE CHALLENGE!

The next problem is I do not want my children envying the other children for there onsite bought meal.  The need is to have those hot lunch kids goggling at the packed lunch your kid has.   This is where I think Bento pays off.  It will take a bit of effort, but after a while it should become second nature.  I hope.  Let me show you a few of Miss Shannon’s lunches for her kindergartener.

[wednesdaybento.jpg]

Now doesn’t that look cute!  Shannon’s blog is at :http://bentolunch.blogspot.com/

Monday will be my first attempt at a bento.  I truly hope she enjoys it.  I will try and post our lunches at least once a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment