Thursday, September 23, 2010

Cakes for 100 and More! Strawberry Shortcake!

DSC07126

As finding my best way to serve God in Our Awanas church program, I figured out, I should make desert.  So each week I make desert that will need to serve 100 or more people (kids and adults).  Now the thing to realize is there is a budget.  Ready!  Here it is!  I have got about $20 to let God do miracles with!  So I am going to share my recipes with you on how I get it done!

So I just served strawberry cake last night and I thought we were going to have to roll the adults out of the room.  Everyone was getting their cake to their seats and then going for their dinner.  Wow!  It really gave me the sense that, yep, God is using me and this is what it is for!  So this cake is a hit!  This is a picture of a test version I did before I made the big pans of it!

RECIPE! for 100!

4 boxes of Yellow Cake mix ($4)

1 jar apple sauce ($2)

1 dozen eggs ($1.50)

4 boxes Strawberry Jello ($4)

4 tubs of white icing ($5)

1 Large bag of frozen strawberries from walmart ($6)

1 cup sugar (on hand)

So you make the cake via the directions, except substitute the oil with applesauce.  When the toothpick comes out clean, pull it out and poke holes all over the cake.  Make Jello as directed and immediately pour over hot cake.  Let cake cool to room temperature (you can skip this, if you are in a time crunch, just becareful not to crumble the cake when you spread icing.)

Spread icing all over the top.  Defrost strawberries and smash them up, so they are crushed.   Add sugar to the strawberries to make a sauce with a juice.  Spoon strawberries all over the top.  Put in fridge until you serve it.

 

When I make this, I am using 2 13 by 24 inch pans.  I am also an industrial oven. 

I hope you enjoy.  I am going to put the other recipes I come up with.  But you can see, I can make that $20 go far.  I have a mud cake and a pineapple upside down cake recipe.  If you have any box cake recipes to share, please send them my way.  I need 2 more recipes.

~trish

No comments:

Post a Comment