Friday, January 22, 2010

Falling in love with my house!



Alright, the absolute love affair that made me have to have a 2 bedroom home without central air was this stove!

I started using this stove in 2003 for my family.  It met its ill fate this past August 2009, when one of the heating elements stopped working.  I did find a replacement, but it required a 1200 mile road trip one way to collect one for parts, so a  no go.

Well, this week after a long 6 months of trying to figure out what I was going to do, a group of volunteers collected it to put it in a local history museum. I am sad to see it go, but as it sat in a corner, it was quickly becoming clutter. 

The stove is actually a pre-1950s Westinghouse range.  Our house was built in 1952, the range was brought down from up north by the last owner in 1954.  She had used it exclusively until she sold us the house.  Talk about money well spent.  Now that it is in the museum, the original owner is trying to find out everything she can to determine when and where it came from.

Now to replace my range, my husband did get me a used glass top from craigslist for about a $100.  It feels so temporary.  After having a range that was in use for about 60 years, it seems like anything less is just not good enough.  I guess I am I feeling nostalgic!  So what do you think, I might get 5 to 10 years out of the new one?

Atleast I a can go visit it. Sniffle, sniffle.

2 comments:

  1. Trish,
    That stove is totally awesome!!!!!!!!!!! It is such a shame it had to go!!!!!!!!!!! What a piece of history!!!!!!!!
    Love ya!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for telling me about the stove. I love it. So sorry for your loss though...

    ReplyDelete