Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Back to bulk cooking - Ground Beef

So I have lavished in the bulk cooking but have not been very excited about spending the day in the kitchen with the children creating craziness. So I mucked up the courage to start again. My aim is/was a total of 12 meals. I spent right at $150 for the 12, not near the savings I got last time. But I was ready for something different. I say is/was because there is a good possibility I will be getting more than 3 meals from each dinner.

My meals:
3 - Lazy Lasagna
3 - Cabbage rolls
2 - Wings and coleslaw and french fries
2 - Enchilada casseroles
1 - Tacos
1 - Nachos
So this time I am cooking in shifts. First order of action cook the 10 pounds of ground beef. Yes even a 4 year old can do it, well until the DVD starts playing. I used my electric skillet for this because it is the biggest pan in the house and my sad little stove, sniffle, sniffle is having some aging problems. That will be for another time.
So I cooked all 10 pounds.
Then I strained all of it in a strainer in a pot and moved it to a measuring cup. For gross approximation, 2 1/5 cups cooked is 1 pound.

From here, I measured 3 pounds into 2 bags, one for cabbage rolls and one for lasagna I also cooked 4 pounds total with taco seasoning for the nachos, tacos, and enchiladas.
Taco Seasoning, go in bulk or make your own. I buy in bulk.
So tonight, I took the remaining taco meat and layered it on chips, cheese, onions, tomatoes, and green chili. MMMMMmmmmm!
So tomorrow, I should be making the cabbage rolls and then the lasagna, the wings, enchiladas.

No comments:

Post a Comment